The following are required for the import / export of pets (Arriving / Leaving Oman):
Note: preparation must to be done well in advance at least 3 months in advance.
Note: All documents must be in English and stamped by competent authorities. In addition, the details should not be handwritten.
Note: Information provision of Country of Origin, Country of Import, Country of Export, Port of Entry, Transport Mode (Air, Land, Sea), Date of Arrival and original or copy of the owner and or recipient passport / identity card / labor card is necessary.
– Vaccinations for dogs (Rabies and DHPPL: Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus, Parainfluenza, Leptospirosis vaccines) at least one month before the trip are necessary.
– Vaccinations for cats are (Rabies and Tricat: Mrhinatricitis, Calcivirus, parainfluenza, peneleukeimia vaccines) at least one month before the trip are necessary.
– Deworming (Internal and External) at least 72 hours before the trip is necessary.
The microchip number is stored digitally within the microchip that has been implanted in the animal. If someone uses a microchip scanner to scan the animal then the microchip number will be displayed. Vets, Welfare Organizations, Dog Wardens and many others have access to a microchip scanner.
– The Microchip label must be pasted on the pet’s profile page.
Valid rabies vaccine (valid sticker/batch no, manufacturer name, Date of Expiry on your pet’s passport/vaccination card) label must be pasted on the pet’s passport.
– The rabies vaccine must be at least 1 month old and should not go beyond 6 months upon arrival. Unless if Rabies vaccinations are part of an ongoing yearly renewal, 11 months is permissible.
– The dogs and cats must be 4 months (some countries: one year) old in order to leave Oman, because Rabies vaccines can only be given when Dog/Cat reaches 3 months old.
Valid rabies titer test or rabies serological test or rabies serum neutralization test (As per specific country requirement: In many countries it is mandatory to have valid rabies titer test) must be sent with the pet shipped from rabies high risk countries (list below).
Note: A rabies titration test certificate is necessary for the import / export of pets to / from Oman.
Note: The test result must be >= 0.5 IU/mL (Depending on your country of destination requirements may differ).
Note: Microchip implantation must be done before blood sampling. Otherwise, even if the test result is positive, blood sampling and blood analysis and payment must be done again.
– These countries and political units are considered high risk for importing dog / cat rabies (Updated January 10, 2022). Any dogs / cats coming from these countries must have their valid rabies vaccine certificates to enter the Sultanate of Oman. Written or oral statements and any documents must be in English or have a certified English translation.
Get an original health certificate from veterinary clinic / airport veterinarian (quarantine office at Muscat international airport) 3-5 days prior to travel is necessary.
– Pet must be brought to the veterinary clinic for examination and issue of export health certificate.
– Bring original and copy of vaccination card / book.
– Bring original and copy of your passport / identity card / labor card.
– Copy of airway bill in case the pet is traveling by cargo.
– Copy of pet ticket in case the pet is traveling as luggage.
– Copy of import permit if available.
– In case of transporting animal for treatment or operation, a report from a veterinary clinic signed by a veterinary doctor should be obtained.
– for export of wild animal / birds, a letter of no objection (CITED) from ministry of regional municipality and environment should be obtained.
Import Permit from the Ministry of Agriculture or other authorities before arriving at the destination country.
Export Permit (If necessary) from the Ministry of Agriculture or other authorities must be taken before leaving the country of origin.
Dogs registration at the airport quarantine office it must be done after arriving in the destination country.
1. Import / Export permit must be obtained before arrival of the dogs or cats.
2. . Exported dogs / cats / birds must be registered with the Muscat Airport Quarantine Office, or the Rusayl Veterinarian Quarantine Station.
3. Import permit / Health certificate (in order) are valid for one month / one week from date of issue.
4. Multiple dogs / cats / birds may be applied for on the one permit but the cost is different from a pet.
5. Dogs and cats under four months (some countries: one year) old are not allowed entry.
6. Veterinary Quarantine may refuse entry or place the animal in quarantine for six months.
7. Rabies Vaccine Certificate Required When Coming from The High-Risk Countries (The conditions and type of accepted test are different in each country).
8. When sending a pet, the courier company must be mentioned as the importer / exporter company and a permit to send / deliver a pet must granted to the person.
9. The following are required for the import/export of wild animal / bird:
a) A letter of no objection (CITES) from ministry of regional municipalities and environment should be obtain before applying for the import/export permit for wild animal /bird into Oman.
b) A letter of no objection (CITES) from exporting country must be accompany with the imported animal / bird.
c) wild animal / bird should be within validity period of vaccination.
d) Original export health certificate issued by government authority of exporting country has to accompany the imported animal / birds.
e) Birds must be obtained from pre-export quarantine after minimum 21 days in official veterinary quarantine.
f) Birds must be examined twice for avian influenza prior to dispatch: first between the period 7-14 days of quarantine, second 24- 48 hours of dispatch with negative result. Original laboratory report should accompany the imported birds.
g) Birds are only allowed to enter/exit Oman via Muscat international airport.
h) Imported birds will be quarantined at Russyl quarantine for not less than three days.